Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Whirlpool washer model WTW4800XQ4 will fill and wash but…

Customer Question
Whirlpool washer model WTW4800XQ4 will...
Whirlpool washer model WTW4800XQ4 will fill and wash but will not drain or spin. Bench check pump and it works.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Appliance
1/8/2018
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 6 months ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

So I just want to start by saying if I was in your house, I'd go through diagnostics and see what error code you're getting, but I've tried to explain how to do this to many people and for some reason they just can't get the sequence to work. So by far, the most likely thing that will cause this issue is your actuator failing. The actuator is the part that switches the shifter next to the motor.

To access the actuator you need to unplug the washer, tip the washer backwards, and remove the 2 screws going into the plastic cover near the back left corner. That will allow you to access the motor and the actuator to the right of the motor. Remove the screws going into the actuator and replace the actuator. Below is a link to the part you'd need to order for your model.

CLICK HERE for part as well as video at bottom of link that shows you how to replace the part.

Now, if you wanted to give it a shot and see if you can pull up an error code, here is the sequence you'll need to go through to display the error code.

1. Be sure the washer is in standby mode (plugged in with all indicators off). (press and hold the start/cancel button for 3 seconds to turn everything off if the lid lock light is flashing that is OK)

2. Perform the following sequence of movement using the cycle selector knob. NOTE: AFTER RESET, sequence “b” through “g” must be completed within 6 seconds.

RESET - Rotate cycle selector knob counterclockwise to clear sequence.

a. Rotate cycle selector knob counter-clockwise one full rotation and the control panel should beep.

b. Rotate cycle selector knob counter-clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second.

c. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second.

d. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second.

e. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second.

f. Rotate cycle selector knob counter-clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second.

g. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second.

Now you are in diagnostics. And all the LEDs should light up or flash if you did it correctly. Turn the knob until just the "DONE" LED is illuminated. Push START.

Now turn the dial one click and now the error code is displayed in the form of LEDs along the progress line. Just note which lights appear and let me know and I can tell you what error you're getting. There will be 2 sets of lights that appear and I need both sets to know what error you're getting.

Also, below is a video that might help you pull up the error code.

CLICK HERE for video

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Your suggestion that the actuator was the "most likely to cause this problem" proved incorrect. After purchasing and installing a new actuator the problem remains.
Tried numerous times to get error codes but never had real success with that. Did get started with some led indicators but for whatever reason could not finish. Ended at "manual scan.
Repairman comes Monday.