Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

We have a Kenmore model 417.42042100 stackable washing

Customer Question
We have a Kenmore...

We have a Kenmore model 417.42042100 stackable washing machine which spins abnormally fast when finishing the wash and also has been getting grease on the clothing. Can this be fixed?

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Kenmore is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

The model number is ***** one I gave you and the date on the machine is 9/02

Contractor's Assistant: Yes, I'm a bot. I make the process of talking to the Appliance Expert more efficient and affordable by asking basic questions. Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Just if the machine is repairable?

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Appliance
1/8/2018
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 6 months ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Unfortunately I can tell you right now that this isn't going to be an issue worth fixing and it's time for a new washer. What is happening is that your main rear tub bearing is going. That will cause the washer to sound like a jet engine so it sounds like it's about to take off like it's spinning way too fast. In addition to that, it's the only thing that causes great to get on the clothing. The reason it's not worth fixing is because you need a new shaft and bearing to fix the issue. The shaft is part of the inner basket, the bearing is part of the outer tub. You must replace both the inner basket and outer tub and parts alone will be over $800. It also requires quite a bit of work to replace these parts so if you had a technician repair your unit, you'd be looking at about $1000-1100 total.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.