Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My whirlpool front load washer spins but then stops and then…

Customer Question
Hello there, my whirlpool...

Hello there, my whirlpool front load washer spins but then stops and then spins and then stops and there's a really terrible metal scrapping noise as it spins. What should I do?

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I don't know what's wrong with it so I don't know what's there to do from my end.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No. Do you know what's wrong with it?

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Appliance
1/8/2018
Appliance Technician: Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician replied 3 months ago
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician

One moment please..Note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient. Also the site will send you a phone call offer, that is not me.

DO you have the complete make and model off the tag on the unit?

I think it's this one
Whirlpool - Duet Washer - Blue on white
Model: GHW9100LQSKU:(###) ###-####

If the unit started scraping and sound bad check the inner tub for play, if you grab the bottom edge of the inner tub and can lift it up and down at all that is a bad main bearing or cracked support. Then the tub drops and will rub on the tub boot or lower edge of the outer drum and cause the smoking. Can you check that and let me know?

Thank you. Looks like what you are saying. What can I do know. Did a sock get stuck in there or something? How does it happen like that? Do i need a technician or is that something I can do.

If the tub support is broken and loose they cost to repair is too expensive, the parts alone will be almost 900, if that happened which it likely did start shopping for a new one, sorry for the bad news.

I hope that I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here for payment and will receive nothing unless a rating is given. Please remember to use the RATING LINK ON YOUR PAGE by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

How much is it to have a technician come look at it to make sure that it is 100% too costly to repair before I start shopping for a new one?

A compay will charge between 75-100 to check it out.

Hi there,
I was just touching base with you because I have not heard back from you and the question is still open and unrated, I am not credited anything until a good star rating is supplied I would really appreciate it if you could do that thanks!

Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician