Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Old. My whirlpool ED25PEXHB00 is not cooling. Its 17 years…

Customer Question
My whirlpool ED25PEXHB00 is...

My whirlpool ED25PEXHB00 is not cooling. Its 17 years old Since December 22nd

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Yes, its serial number is *****

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If I can, if not I will call for service I cleaned the coils, and unplugged it for two hours today then plugged it back in and its on, but not cold enough to make ice

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

That's all I can think of

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Appliance
1/8/2018
Appliance Technician: Engineer-Tech, Home Appliance Technician replied 7 months ago
Engineer-Tech
Engineer-Tech, Home Appliance Technician

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you. Sorry you are having trouble with your Whirlpool refrigerator . Please give me a moment to review your question. Please note that it sometimes takes a while to type responses and answers.

If youcan check on the back wall (inside) of the freezer and look for thick frost buildup, that would tell us that you have a defrost problem. If so,

you need to remove the back wall (inside) of the freezer and test the defrost thermostat and heater for continuity when they are still cold. If they have continuity of less than 5 ohms for the thermostat and less than 50 ohms for the heater, you likely have another issue. The part number for the defrost thermostat is W10225581 and the heater is 2323198 . The type of heater in your unit rarely goes bad.

If your freezer won't go below 33 degrees and you have no defrost problem, there are a few other possibilities. One is that your fan under the refrigerator has stopped running. The most likely is that you are low on refrigerant. If it is refrigerant - this is an advance repair that requires special equipment, skill, and licensing. I would contact an appliance repair company that does sealed system work to come out and take a look at it and determine if it is a good candidate for a refrigerant recharge. I normally charge $150 to do a refrigerant recharge. This cost may be what you would expect, depending on the company you hire.

- PLEASE rate my service before you leave today. Since we are on the honor system, Just Answer will only credit me for my time if you rate me positively. By giving me a rating of 4 or 5 stars at the TOP RIGHT of your screen I will provide free follow up questions for this appliance after this session. I am not always online, but answer questions as soon as I see them. So if you don't get an answer right away, don't worry, I log on daily to respond to questions. Thank you.