Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

My Jenn Air undercounted ice maker (model JIM158XYRSO)

Customer Question
My Jenn Air undercounted...

My Jenn Air undercounted ice maker (model JIM158XYRSO) system was just cleaned and a new water filter was installed. The unit is about 2 years old. It is now turned on (for 24 Hrs) and is not making ice. The water tank has clear water in it but no ice being made

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Jenn-Air is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Read the orig message

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 4 days by:
1/11/2018
Appliance Technician: Michelle-mod, Moderator replied 1 month ago
Michelle-mod
Michelle-mod, Moderator
Hello:
I'm Michelle, the moderator for this category. I'm so sorry that an Expert has not connected with you yet. I wanted to reach out to see if you still needed assistance with your question? Please use the reply box below to let me know if you'd like to continue or cancel.
Thank you!
Michelle~Moderator
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Still in need of help
Thank you, ***** ***** continue to look for an Expert to assist you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.
Best,
Michelle-Moderator
Appliance Technician: Kelly, Appliance Technician replied 1 month ago
Kelly, Appliance Technician

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

The control is most likely in need of resetting. Unplug the machine for 5 full minutes to reset the electronics. Does it start the compressor shortly after plugging it back in or what exactly happens?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Will try to reset via unplugging the unit
Upon reset
The unit appears to be going thru a cycle but water keeps flowing but no compresser sound

Can you pull it out and feel the compressor to see if it is trying to start or is cold?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No heat around compressor
Before I unplugged the water filled tank periodically. Now the water runs constantly

It will until the ice forms. However, if the compressor does not run, it, of course, will not make ice. Do you have a meter to test voltage with?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I do have voltage meter, but just the moment the water to tank shut off and compressor sounds like it is running

How long has it been plugged in?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
45 min to 60

Is the water running to recirculate over the evaporator plate?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It appears there is the beginning of ice formation but do not see any water running over the plate

Hmm, the water should be recirculating as the plate freezes. It sounds like the issue is with the controller. Was it working fine before cleaning?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Long story but it was working about 6 weeks ago. Turned it off as we were leaving for extended trip When we returned the “clean” light turned on and after cleaning this is where we are
Unit has been operational less than 2 yrs

Ah, so if you found it with the CLEAN light on, the control likely had an issue. Did you find any clocks reset or blinking, indicating a power interruption?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We did not have any apparent power loss during our absence but unit was turned off anyway

Well, if the water works and the compressor works but not together as they should, I believe the control is faulty. That being said, I would allow it to run for a few hours since we just noticed the compressor starting in case it comes back to life.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I agree. In addition water just began flowing into the water tank at a slower rate than at first
I can see frost on the plate but again no water flowing over it that I can see
Wire cutting grid is warm so if ice is ever formed it will be cut

Okay, so it is in a harvest so water should be recirculating. Does the pump sound like it is running, humming or buzzing?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The only sound I hear is the compressor
As of now water not flowing into tank
I wonder if pump is the problem

Does the pump sound like it is running, humming or buzzing?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No

Is the pump body warm? See number 1 below...

CLICK HERE

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Not warm

Okay, so it is not likely getting energized by the control. Do you have a meter to test the voltage to the pump?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I do have volt/amp meter
I will check it tomorrow
What should the reading be??
I am shutting down until tomorrow

The pump should be getting 120 VAC. If it is, the pump is bad. If it is not, the control is faulty.

Kelly, Appliance Technician