Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a GE combination Microwave/Convection oven model

Customer Question
JT965BOF1BB. I keep getting an...
I have a GE combination Microwave/Convection oven model JT965BOF1BB. I keep getting an F3 error code. I have replaced both the temperature sensor and the electronic control unit, but the problem persists. When the oven is turned on from cold, it heats normally, with the temperature in the display progressing upward normally. When the set temperature is reached, the customary three beeps sound, and all is well. After about 10 to 15 minutes at temperature, the oven shuts down with the F3 error code. From that point, even if the oven is turned off and back on, any temperature entered on the key pad (whether above or below the actual temperature in the oven) a signal is received that the oven is on and heated to that temperature. Once the oven cools, the sequence repeats. I assume that the fact that when turned on from cold, the display is receiving a signal from the probe (as indicated by the changing and rising temperature on the display) the probe is functional and the electronics are receiving the signal, so the connections must not be at fault.Do you have any thoughts on how to repair?Thanks
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Appliance
Is anyone going to answer this?
Answered in 1 day by:
1/8/2018
Appliance Technician: Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician replied 6 months ago
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician

One moment please..Note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient. Also the site will send you a phone call offer, that is not me.

That means there is an issue with the oven temperature sensor. You can unplug the temperature sensor and measure it with an OHM meter to see if it reads about 1080 ohms + or - 10% at room temperature 77 degrees. If it does then you have a bad clock control board and need to replace that. If the sensor reads way out of range replace the sensor. The sensor just has a screw or two in it to remove it, but you may need to pull the oven out and remove the back panel to unplug it. If the oven sensor tests goof the clock control is bad, here is a link to both parts.

CLICK HERE PART

CLICK HERE SENSOR

I hope that I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here for payment and will receive nothing unless a rating is given. Please remember to use the RATING LINK ON YOUR PAGE by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

As I noted in the question, I have replaced both the control board and the sensor. I asked for a different solution that I have not already tried. Please read the question.Thanks

Did you install a new control or a used one?

New

I am not sure let me see if another expert has any ideas stand by for another tech

Appliance Technician: Rusty S, Home Appliance Technician replied 6 months ago
Rusty S
Rusty S, Home Appliance Technician

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. Sorry to hear you are having appliance trouble, I know how frustrating that can be!

Have you read the thread from the other technician?

That error means that the control "sees" the sensor circuit as open. See the attached page. Since it only does this after it warms up, it is likely that there is an issue with the wiring that is opening up or otherwise changing with the heat. Have you inspected the wiring harness from the control all the way to the sensor?

I have inspected the wiring harness, and it seems OK. The connector from the sensor to the harness seemed to not fit well. Could that be the problem? I'm thinking it may expand when the oven is hot and break the continuity.

Absolutely! If it is at the sensor end, cut that connector off and the one off the sensor and use ceramic wire nuts to direct wire those wires. That is usually the recommended procedure, anyway. Let me know what happens. The sensor circuit works on resistance, so an ill fitting connector will certainly add resistance to the circuit!

I will have to buy some ceramic wire nuts, and will try that tomorrow. Will let you know.Thanks

Sounds good, thank you!