Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My kenmore refrigerator is 16 years old. In the last two…

Customer Question
My kenmore refrigerator is...

My kenmore refrigerator is 16 years old. In the last two days, the freezer is working normally, keeping food frozen, but the refrigerator is not cold,despite turning up the dial inside to 6, the highest degree of coldness.Please advise! Richard

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Kenmore is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

As I said, it is 16 years old The model number is *****

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Appliance
1/7/2018
Appliance Technician: Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician replied 6 months ago
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician

One moment please..Note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient. Also the site will send you a phone call offer, that is not me.

That is likely a defrost issue you need to remove the rear panel in the freezer section. If the evaporator is built up with excessive frost you need to defrost the frost build up with a hairdryer or steamer. Then you need to check the heater for continuity and the defrost thermostat for continuity as well, that is clipped to the evaporator. It has to be cold to test it and it should read continuity with an ohm meter as well when cold. If all that tests good you likely have a bad defrost control.

I hope that I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here for payment and will receive nothing unless a rating is given. Please remember to use the RATING LINK ON YOUR PAGE by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.