Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a GE JVM1850DM1WW microwave. When I shut the door I…

Customer Question
I have a GE...

I have a GE JVM1850DM1WW microwave. When I shut the door I hear the microwave running, the light stays on, but the turntable does not turn. The timer does work; however when it counts down to zero, the microwave keeps running. I shut the power off at the circuit breaker and that did not help when I turned it back on.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

I purchased it and it was installed by Sears on 15 September 2007.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I can depending on difficulty.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I am selling the house next month and need to make the microwave work.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Appliance
1/7/2018
Appliance Technician: Engineer-Tech, Home Appliance Technician replied 7 months ago
Engineer-Tech
Engineer-Tech, Home Appliance Technician

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you. Sorry you are having trouble with your GE microwave . Please give me a moment to review your question. Please note that it sometimes takes a while to type responses and answers.

Well, that seems to be bad timing for your microwave to fail! Whenever your microwave runs after the timer has counted down, it means that you have a stuck relay on the main control board. Since GE does not sell the relay separately, you would need to replace the board. Here is the part number: WB27X10874

Here is a link to it on Amazon: http://a.co/2KDjX2j

Unplug the microwave for 3 hours, remove the top grille, remove the right side panel by taking out the top screw holding it in and then slide the panel straight upward to release. The board will be held on by screws behind that panel. Reassemble in reverse.

- PLEASE rate my service before you leave today. Since we are on the honor system, Just Answer will only credit me for my time if you rate me positively. By giving me a rating of 4 or 5 stars at the TOP RIGHT of your screen I will provide free follow up questions for this appliance after this session. I am not always online, but answer questions as soon as I see them. So if you don't get an answer right away, don't worry, I log on daily to respond to questions. Thank you.

AMAZON wanted $183 for the board and was out of stock. Another site had a rebuilt one for $95 shipped in one day or a new one for $135 and a wait of ten days at the following link. What do you recommend?http://www.partsimple.com/ge-wb27x10874-microwave-smart-board.html?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=CCS%20-%20BingAds%20-%20Control%20BoardsP%20-2&utm_term=wb27x10874&utm_content=General%20Electric%20Wb27X10874

I would only buy the rebuilt one if the original part is no longer being manufactured. Here is a link to another one on Amazon for $151. http://a.co/fxKFpyG

Please note that the board is likely bad if your microwave still heats after it is finished counting down. If, on the other hand, just the fan is running but it does not heat then you may have a bad door switch.