Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Kenmore trash compactor ram is stuck in up position.

Customer Question
Kenmore trash compactor ram...

Kenmore trash compactor ram is stuck in up position

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Kenmore is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

13619101 I replaced the directional switch with no change

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Before it did this, the ram would go down, but we would have to shut if off and back on to reverse the direction that is why I thought it was the directional switch

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 5 days by:
1/11/2018
Appliance Technician: Michelle-mod, Moderator replied 5 months ago
Michelle-mod
Michelle-mod, Moderator
Hello:
I'm Michelle, the moderator for this category. I'm so sorry that an Expert has not connected with you yet. I wanted to reach out to see if you still needed assistance with your question? Please use the reply box below to let me know if you'd like to continue or cancel.
Thank you!
Michelle~Moderator
I still need an expect help since I made a deposit to submit the question.
Thank you, ***** ***** continue to look for an Expert to assist you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.
Best,
Michelle-Moderator
Appliance Technician: Kelly, Appliance Technician replied 5 months ago
Kelly, Appliance Technician

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

You likely have a broken large gear on the bottom of the compactor. Does it make a hammering/ratcheting sound when it runs?

I wouldn't describe the sound as a hammering or ratcheting sound. Before it stopped working entirely, when the ram would reach the bottom, it would not automatically reverse directions. It would just make a loud steady noise. If you switched it off and back on, it would then reverse directions and finish its cycle. Now it just makes the loud noise as soon as you turn it on and the ram remains at the top.
Are you not going to respond anymore?
Appliance Technician: Kelly, Appliance Technician replied 4 months ago

Sorry fort the delay. Apparently the site did not notify me of your last reply. It is designed to lock new questions until all responses are cleared so it obviously did not work.

Can you remove the lower access panel on the bottom of the compactor to inspect the gearing down there?