Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

How are you. I am having a issue with a Maytag washing

Customer Question
Hello how are you...

Hello how are you. I am having a issue with a Maytag washing machine. My problem is that the motor just hums, gets warm. I can spin the motor by hand.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Maytag is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Model # SAV205DAWW

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes,

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I had bypassed the thermal switch, I don't know if normally open or closed, or is it a resistor

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/6/2018
Appliance Technician: Kelly, Appliance Technician replied 1 month ago
Kelly, Appliance Technician

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

The thermal switch is normally closed and opens to protect the motor from overheating. If the motor does not start but does hum, it will need to be replaced. Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

The 2 speed motor you need is available below.

CLICK HERE

If you would be so kind, would you please remember to rate my service USING THE STAR SCALE at the top or the bottom of the page before you leave today? You may post back at anytime with follow up questions. Please let me know how I may earn your 5 star rating! Thank you so much!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What about the timer

If the motor is humming, it is getting power, so the timer is working.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay understand, is there a test I can do on the windings to check for short to ground, or a test for the brushes?

The brushes are not replaceable and if it was shorted to ground, it would trip the breaker. The motor will just need to be replaced. These motors are not repairable as some are.

Kelly, Appliance Technician