Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My micowave not heating. Ge spacemaker its 12 years old

Customer Question
My micowave not heating ...

My micowave not heating

Contractor's Assistant: What's the microwave's make and model? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Ge spacemaker its 12 years old model jvm1630cj 02

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Maybe if its not to hard.or do u think its not worth it,get a new one

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/6/2018
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 6 months ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

If the microwave still looks and sounds like it's working, but it's just not heating--that means your magnetron has likely failed. The magnetron is the part that actually creates the microwave to heat the food and it commonly goes bad and rarely gives a warning. The part itself costs about $85 so depending on the condition of the microwave and whether you can replace it yourself or not, it may be better to just replace the microwave rather than repair it. Also, it will require you to un-install the entire microwave and remove the outer shell in order to access the magnetron for replacement so if you called a technician out it would be another $150 for trip and labor. Below is a link to the magnetron you'd need to order and replace for your model number.

CLICK HERE for magnetron

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?