Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Our 5+year ge fridge just started getting frost on the back…

Customer Question
Our 5+year ge fridge...

Our 5+year ge fridge just started getting frost on the back wall. Today, the refriderator won't get above 60 degrees. I guess it is time to get a new one. Yes?

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Possible model from the invoice is; GTH18ECBWW. does that look like the model number?

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Bought on 3/3/11

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

It has the freezer on the top. nother nothing fancy

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Appliance
1/5/2018
Appliance Technician: Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician replied 1 month ago
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician

One moment please..Note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient. Also the site will send you a phone call offer, that is not me.

That is likely a defrost issue you need to remove the rear panel in the freezer section. If the evaporator is built up with excessive frost you need to defrost the frost build up with a hairdryer or steamer. Then you need to check the heater for continuity and the defrost thermostat for continuity as well, that is clipped to the evaporator. It has to be cold to test it and it should read continuity with an ohm meter as well when cold. If all that tests good you likely have a bad defrost control. It was common for the glass tube heater to burn out on that unit so it may be bad for sure..test it and see CLICK HERE PART

I hope that I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here for payment and will receive nothing unless a rating is given. Please remember to use the RATING LINK ON YOUR PAGE by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician