Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

We have a Frigidiare Professional microwave/convection model…

Customer Question
We have a Frigidiare...

We have a Frigidiare Professional microwave/convection model FPBM3077RFA. The problem is that the display periodically goes dark. Sometimes opening and closing the door will revive the display

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Frigidaire is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

3 years

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Depends on what you think the problem is. I am a retired building contractor with plenty of tools.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

What do you think the problem is?

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Appliance
1/5/2018
Appliance Technician: Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician replied 6 months ago
Master Tech
Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician

My name is Woody.
I`m sorry to hear that your having issues!
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.
Please note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient.

opening and closing the door should have no effect on the electrical circuits to the clock / control board ,unless it is just a simple loose electrical connection and the vibration of the door opening and closing makes an electrical connection make and break .

Have you open the control panel up and checked all electrical connection yet?

More details: The unit is only 2.5 years old. Again it is a conviction/microwave combo. A power cable comes from the unit to the door where all of the controls are situated. I notice that I when open the door only about 3-4 inches, lift up and down the right side the display will appear randomly. I have not opened up the unit yet. You mean that I have not opened up the door containing the control panel.
Something at the door hinge seems to be the culprit, doesn't it? With the door open slightly, just moving the door up and down vertically will cause the random response. Are there connections around the hinge and on that side of the door to cause this reaction?

Yes the display in the door has an electrical connection at the door hinge area.

That would be the first electrical connection I would look at once you have the unit down and the cover off the unit .

If you need a part due to a worn wire just let me know or if you have any questions of course.