Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

How do I remove the compressor fan on a -Air side-by-side…

Customer Question
How do I remove...

How do I remove the compressor fan on a Jen-Air side-by-side refrigerator model JS42SEFXDA

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Jenn-Air is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

JS42SEFXDA model number. about ten years old

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Fan is making clanking noise

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Appliance
1/4/2018
Appliance Technician: Nolan Rettig, Home Appliance Technician replied 7 months ago
Nolan Rettig
Nolan Rettig, Home Appliance Technician

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with your issues today. Please give me a minute to review your question.

To remove the condensor fan on this unit you need to remove the panel to get access to the compressor area and then there are brackets that attach to the back of the fan motor that will need to be removed. It looks like there are 3 brackets going into the back of it that will need to be removed and I don't remember if they are 1/4" or 5/16" bolts that attach the brackets to the fan but it should be one of those two sizes, once the brackets are out you should be able to remove the fan motor. You also might want to try just wiggling it first as if it is a clanking noise it could just be that one of the bolts has come loose and the fan blade is moving and hitting the enclosure.

Do I remove the compressor radiator element first?

You can't remove that without opening up the sealed system unfortunately and you have to kind of reach around the back side to access it.

I can’t even see the fan from the front. Should I pull the unit out to access the fan bracket?

If you can't get to it from the front then you may need to pull it out, I can't tell completely from the picture but does the panel on the right side of the condensor come off to give access to the fan from the right side?

I will give it a try. I am not in front of the fridge right now

Alright, if you can't get to it that way then yeah you would need to pull it out to get access.