Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Our freezer was working fine but the fridge compartment was…

Customer Question
Our freezer was working...

Our freezer was working fine but the fridge compartment was not cooling. I pulled the rear panel of the freezer. It was full of frost. I thawed it out. It is now plugged in again. The feeezer motor is on but the cold air is not blowing into the fridge.

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of the fridge? And can you guesstimate how old is it?

Whirlpool

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

GSH22JSTA SS

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

7-9 years old

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Appliance
1/4/2018
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 4 months ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

So a couple things to discuss. First of all, make sure that the passage way between the refrigerator and freezer section to the right of the silver coils was thawed out as well. This is the air return where air is sucked from the refrigerator to the freezer section. It then blows up through the silver coils in the freezer to the very top of the freezer and a minor amount of air goes to the refrigerator section in the top left corner of the refrigerator. Won't won't feel much air flow at all. It takes about 7-8 hours for the refrigerator section to cool down but only about 2-3 for the freezer.

As for the frost build up. if you have a multimeter, test resistance through the defrost heater along the bottom of the silver coils. If it has no continuity then replace. If it does have continuity, there is a little white plastic bullet clipped onto the top of your silver evaporator coils. This is the defrost thermistor sensor---you'll want to replace this sensor because it's out of range.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc