Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

We've been very pleased with our K-A dishwasher's

Customer Question
We've been very pleased...

We've been very pleased with our K-A dishwasher's performance over the years, though recently it makes a strange noise when the door opens [only does the noise sound when the door closes.] To my untrained ear I would say it sounds like a spring is straining. I note from the literature provided that there is a tension spring attached to the door. Might this be the source of my troubling noise? If so, how do I access to eliminate this annoyance.

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your dishwasher? And have you run a diagnostic test cycle?

KitchenAid: M#KUDP02CR. Haven't run the diagnostics 'cause the operation is not in question.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If possible and it is not too complex.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

If you can outline how I go about silencing the annoying door noise, no. If we need to continue...???

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/4/2018
Appliance Technician: Nolan Rettig, Home Appliance Technician replied 3 months ago
Nolan Rettig
Nolan Rettig, Home Appliance Technician

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with your issues today. Please give me a minute to review your question.

There is a tension spring on either side of the door and that likely is the cause of your noise, most of the time it starts rubbing against a hose or something that may have been moved. There are two ways of fixing this, the best but more difficult way is to remove the mounting screws and pull the unit out of the hole to give access to it, this can be difficult depending on how much slack you have on your fill hose, drain hose, or power cord. The other way to do it is to remove the kick plate to the unit and reach back in and kind of feel around for it to see what it is hitting on, this is difficult to do if you don't have longer arms and depending on how far up the legs of the unit are can definitely be very tight.

I will give the 2nd options a try. How do I report my success?

Make sure to turn the power to the unit off first, it shouldn't be an issue but without seeing how the power comes in it's definitely better to have it off. You can always just post back here with whatever you found out.

I was happy to assist you with this issue today, if you wouldn't mind taking a moment to rate my service today with the stars along the top of the page it would be greatly appreciated and is the only way I will receive credit for helping you! I always strive for 5 star service and if you do have any more questions after rating me you can always come back to this question and post them

Nolan Rettig
Nolan Rettig
Nolan Rettig, Home Appliance Technician