Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My dryer isent getting hot, the flame is out under it, what…

Customer Question
My dryer isent getting...

My dryer isent getting hot, the flame is out under it, what can I do

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of your dryer? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Kenmore , about 8-10 years old I really cannot remember - literally its the only appliance that hasent died on me in the last two years

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I am just looking for what my husband can check right now- we are having a snow storm- cannot go out- and I have 7 people in my home I have a lot of laundry -

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I don't know what you need to know- it is a Kenmore gas dryer -the flame is out and the dryer is not getting hot- what can we check right now?

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/4/2018
Appliance Technician: Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician replied 3 months ago
Master Tech
Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician

My name is Woody.
I`m sorry to hear that your having issues!
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.
Please note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient.

Can I please have the Full model number of the unit to better assist you ?
open the dryer door the model /serial number is ***** the inner face frame

ok going to look now, will take a few min - thank you

ok no problem!

mo # 110###-##-#### ser # M 11203492

Thank you!
Give me a few minutes to pull up information on this model

sure thanks

Do you have a Volt-Ohm meter and know how to use it? to be able to do any component or voltage testing

no

Ok so then you have no way to do any components testing , let`s run a diagnostics .

ACTIVATING THE SERVICE DIAGNOSTIC MODE

1. Be sure the dryer is in standby mode (plugged in with all indicators off, or with only the DRY indicator on).

2. Select any three buttons and follow the steps below, using the same buttons (remember the buttons and the order that the buttons were pressed):

Within 8 seconds,

Press and Release the 1st selected button

Press and Release the 2nd selected button,

Press and Release the 3rd selected button;

Repeat this 3 button sequence 2 more times

3. If this test mode has been entered successfully, all indicators on the console are illuminated for 5 seconds with showing in the Estimated Time Remaining two-digit display

And tell me if it then shows any fault codes in the display.

how do i get only the dry light on?

press the power key!

ok well when i press the power key , the start /pause is flashing, the check lint screen indicator is flashing ,the time is light up in the estimated time remaining frame, ,various other lights indicating dry temp,dry level, & wrinkle guard- you said only the" DRY" i want to do it correctly

press start twice to clear the previous selected cycle .

it is not working- the dryer is blinking 40 min and the start is blinking - i did the three button sequence three different times- nothing changed on the face of the dryer
i did push start twice like you said

ok now press power and run the diagnostics mode.

clearly i am not doing something correctly because it is not doing anything but beeping and switching cycles from me pushing buttons

ok if it is running but not heating and it will not allow you to enter into diagnostics you may have an electronic control board issue.

But let`s try to reboot the electronic control board. unplug the dryer for 5 minutes then plug it in and start the dryer and let it run for a few minutes and then open the door and see if it is heating or not.

ok its unplugged and i set a timer
i didn't mean to hit the "call me button "

the call me must not have taken I did not see it !

its back on but theres still no flame so how would it heat?

ok so if it is still not heating but the dryer is running .

I have to suspect you have something with in the heater circuit that has failed .

And with you having no meter to be able to do any testing .

I have to recommend that you contact a local service company for a in home service call on the dryer.

my initial question was - the flame is out under my gas dryer and its not heating- what can i check now- if i have no direction on re lighting the flame safely - the dryer will not heat - so all this was mute-

you do not relight the flame ,this is an electronic ignition unit it lights it`s own flame when you turn the dryer on

ok then how long would i leave the dryer on or would it immediately get warm?

If the dryer is working correctly the flame will be ignited within seconds of you turning the dryer on .

And that is why I stated that you have an issue with the heating circuit!

And if you do not have the tools needed for testing , you have no way to tell me which component is faulty.

Keep in mind, I can only give you truthful information as simply telling you only what you wish to hear but what may not necessarily be true would only hurt you. If you are upset at your situation but not by the quality of my answer, please consider rating positively as I am only a messenger. If you simply want more information, feel free to reply and let me know - I am here to help you to your satisfaction. If you have other concerns, reply and let me know. I am here to make sure you are satisfied."?

i am not upset at you ! i have had the worse year of my life , my dad passed away , i am caring for my ill mother in my home, i have my own family i am too busy to spend time with, i had an emergency surgery three months ago that almost killed me- just a black cloud hanging over my head-- thius is actually the last appliance i have not replaced in the last year also- they all have died- its just not been my year - so i am annoyed yes- not at you- thank you for your help- i do appreciate it -kind regards-sandi
Appliance Technician: Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician replied 3 months ago
Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician

Hello, I am a different tech, Dave. There is still a simple thing you should be able to check yourself if you can get the lower front panel off. There is a thermal fuse on the blower duct that will keep a gas dryer from heating. If you want to try this let me know and I will look for a video showing how to do this. Dave

i actually have the front panel off- i took it of to look for the flame - I'm not doing real well with this - and the last guy was kind of snarky with me- if i knew what i was doing i wouldn't be asking - he should know that-

Okay. Well if you can get to the thermal fuse after unplugging the dryer you can pull off the two wires and tape them together just for testing. Plug it back in and see if it heat. Replace the fuse before running a load. Here is a link to a video but it is not for your exact model. There isn't one for your model and this is as close as it gets. You should be able to adapt to what you have and if your arms are long enough you might be able to reach it without removing much. Dryer thermal fuse link. Let me know what happens. Dave

Do you have an update on your dryer? Do you still need help?

Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave