Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Microwave is almost 2 years old - place food on tray -

Customer Question
Microwave is almost 2...

Microwave is almost 2 years old - place food on tray - closed door - press start and display says open/close door and will not start

Contractor's Assistant: What's the microwave's make and model? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

It is right at 2 years old - I don't have make and model

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If it is easy

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Just what the problem is

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Appliance
Whirlpool model # is wmh53520cs-1
1/4/2018
Appliance Technician: Engineer-Tech, Home Appliance Technician replied 6 months ago
Engineer-Tech
Engineer-Tech, Home Appliance Technician

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you. Sorry you are having trouble with your Whirlpool microwave. Please give me a moment to review your question. Please note that it sometimes takes a while to type responses and answers.

I'm sure that you'd like to get your microwave up and running soon!

Generally when you are experiencing an issue like this it just means that one of the door switches is bad. These microwaves have 3 to 4 door switches that must all be in their proper positions to cook and heat up and when one goes out you will experience things like the turntable going when the door is open, “Open and close door” errors, and heating issues. Luckily they are fairly inexpensive to replace as most of the switches are less than $20. The bad switch is usually the one that doesn’t “click” when you press the button on it. Sometimes the leads to the switch appear overheated. The part number is *****

You can get it on Amazon here: http://a.co/hYtkubo

If it isn't something that you are comfortable doing yourself you can call a local service company or if you don't know one you can always call Whirlpool directly at(###) ###-####

Always unplug the microwave for 3 hours before taking it apart to discharge the High Voltage capacitor. Be careful when working on microwaves.

- PLEASE rate my service before you leave today. Since we are on the honor system, Just Answer will only credit me for my time if you rate me positively. By giving me a rating of 4 or 5 stars at the TOP RIGHT of your screen I will provide free follow up questions for this appliance after this session. I am not always online, but answer questions as soon as I see them. So if you don't get an answer right away, don't worry, I log on daily to respond to questions. Thank you.

I do not want to sign up for a monthly service with you guys - it looks like that is what has happened - who do I call

Ok, let me get that info for you. One moment.

Here is a link to customer service: http://ww2.justanswer.com/help

Here is the customer service number.(###) ###-####/p>

I hope this helps and that my answer has been helpful. Happy New Year.

- Please rate my service before you leave today. Since we are on the honor system, Just Answer will only credit me for my time if you rate me positively. By giving me a rating of 4 or 5 stars at the TOP RIGHT of your screen I will provide free follow up questions for this appliance after this session. I am not always online, but answer questions as soon as I see them. So if you don't get an answer right away, don't worry, I log on daily to respond to questions. Thank you.