Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a seven year old samsung refrigerator that is not…

Customer Question
I have a seven...

I have a seven year old samsung refrigerator that is not cooling well anymore. The freezer is definitely not cold enough, not sure about the refrigerator.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Samsung is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Rsg257aars

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Only if it is easy

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Appliance
1/4/2018
Appliance Technician: Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician replied 6 months ago
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician

One moment please..Note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient. Also the site will send you a phone call offer, that is not me.

Okay, pull the unit out so you can get behind it. Remove the back lower panel to access the compressor area and condenser fan. Check and see if the fan is running and also see if the compressor is vibrating or not, plus see if the compressor is hot ,cold or warm to the touch. please post back to me with what you have found. Also note anything you have changed out part wise or have done and not mentioned in your original post. I am helping other customers so there may be a delay in responses to do not panic just wait for my reply thank you.

The fan is running and the compressor has slight vibration. The compressor is fairly warm, is that normal?

The compressors on that unit often fail so it would not be surprising if it were bad. The other thing that can cause this issue is a low freon condition. You would have to put a tap valve on the unit and check the pressures on the low side of the system to see if it is a compressor issue or a low freon condition. This may not be something you can do since you ned an access valve and freon gauges.

can it be a bad temperature sensor? My manual says after changing the temperature the actual temperature displays after 5 seconds. The actual temperature displayed is -14 for the freezer which is definitely not the correct temp
The compressor is now off so I suspect it is getting a signal that the refrigerator is sufficiently cool

It is possible if the compressor is not running, do you have any error codes on the unit? Also have you tried to unplug the unit for 2 full minutes and plug it back in to clear everything?

compressor just came back on and no error codes. How do I check if the thermocouples are working? I will unplug for 2 min and see if things change any.

You would have to get to the sensors and see what resistance they are readling at the temperatur in the unit see chart.......CLICK HERE

ok on turning off and on the temperature now looks accurate. It is showing 40 degrees in the freezer and 45 degrees in the fridge

OK you can see if it starts to work again often they just need to be reset and work fine again.

I hope that I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here for payment and will receive nothing unless a rating is given. Please remember to use the RATING LINK ON YOUR PAGE by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Hi there,
I was just touching base with you because I have not heard back from you and the question is still open and unrated, I am not credited anything until a good star rating is supplied I would really appreciate it if you could do that thanks!

My problem is not solved. Here is the latest. When I disconnect power and reconnect after 2 min, I am able to see the correct reading on the actual (not set) temperature in both the fridge and the freezer. However after a while I see that the actual temperature reading on the freezer moves to the set temperature, even though the freezer is clearly not at the set temperature. The refrigerator is working fine. I just need to know if this is a refrigerant leak issue, in which case I won't bother fixing it, or a simple thermocouple issue. Thanks.
If I don't hear back from you in the next hour, I will request another technician.

OK let me see if another tech can help you, I have not heard back from you in 2 days and you post to me if you do not hear from me in the next hour you will request another tech, let me see if another tech can help.

We were in conversation the day before and I never received an answer to my question. All I got was your request to rate you without having addressed my problem. For some reason my follow up comment is not visible in the conversation transcript.
Appliance Technician: Rusty S, Home Appliance Technician replied 6 months ago
Rusty S
Rusty S, Home Appliance Technician

Hello, I am sorry nobody has gotten back to you yet. Are you still needing help with this?