Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

My washer is tripping the GFCI, replaced it and it trips it…

Customer Question
Hi, My washer is...

Hi, My washer is tripping the GFCI, replaced it and it trips it as soon as you plug it in. I have a dryer that uses the same outlet and it does not trip the outlet. I believe that there is an issue with my washer. 13years old commercial speed queen. I do not believe that there is a electronic board as there is no digital elements. What should I check with the washer or is it best to call an appliance repairman.

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Sporadically since the summer and the last 2 weeks more frequently and today consistently. we replaced the GFCI but it did not help

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I would like to

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/4/2018
Appliance Technician: travis webb,
 replied 1 month ago
travis webb

Hello, and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I will be the one to assist you. Sorry to hear that you are having this trouble. It is likely you have a blown thermal fuse or high limit thermostat fuse possibly. I Will need your model number though to pull up your parts list and do you happen to have a multimeter by chance?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Travis
AWN432SP111TW01 speed queen commercial.
I do not have a multimeter, I will buy one if needed.Thanks
Appliance Technician: travis webb,
 replied 1 month ago

ok​ so your unit has the temperature control valve that may be causing this or even the timer itself. The valve can be tested So if the valve tests good then that leaves the timer is the issue.

https://www.searspartsdirect.com/part-number/201279P/0026/250.html?modelNumber=AWN432SP111TW01&categoryName=Residential Washers&brandName=ALLIANCE​

Appliance Technician: travis webb,
 replied 1 month ago

https://www.searspartsdirect.com/part-number/38881P/0026/250.html?modelNumber=AWN432SP111TW01&categoryName=Residential Washers&brandName=ALLIANCE​

h​ere is the timer I didn't mean control board. Both of these parts are located in the control panel where you push the buttons

Appliance Technician: travis webb,
 replied 1 month ago

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know. Rating does not stop you from getting back to me in the event you need me. It has been a pleasure assisting you today.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks Travis
How do I test the temperature control valve and is that why I need the multimeter
Appliance Technician: travis webb,
 replied 1 month ago

ye​s the multimeter would be needed for that and your testing for continuity.

Appliance Technician: travis webb,
 replied 1 month ago

y​ou will be testing the timer actually not the temperature control because the temp control is a board that can not be tested. The words got mixed up on my end sorry about that. This what you will be looking at for the board. The timer you will measure the voltage coming from it there are many you tube videos that can show you how to do this as well.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Travis
I can not find on YouTube how to test a speed queen timer. Do you have a link
Appliance Technician: travis webb,
 replied 1 month ago

You will have to remove power from the washer before proceeding. We will be testing the timer for continuity with a digital multimeter to be sure it is working properly. You will need to remove the top portion of your washer to get to the timer. Once you access the timer, pull off the wiring harness. Leave the timer attached to the washer panel, no need to completely remove it. It can be tested in place as long as the wiring harness is removed. Now, to test the timer with your meter, the timer should be set to any setting except off. To be sure that the issue is a bad timer and not a bad wire harness, we need to check the timer for continuity. Turn your digital meter to Continuity Test Mode. Using your digital multimeter, check the timer for continuity through the contacts. There may be an electrical diagram on the back of your washer. This should inform you which number on the timer socket will relate to which set of contacts in the timer. If one of the contacts are bad or there is a defective motor winding, your meter will indicate an OL on your multimeter display. This means there is an issue with the timer and should be replaced.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I apologize, I’m not getting it. I removed the harness and the pic shows what’s left. Your reply says to look at diagram for numbers ok go it (don’t understand it) Where are the probes going from the pic
travis webb
travis webb
travis webb