Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Th is is a while that I have noticed the water and ice that…

Customer Question
Th is is...

Th is is a while that I have noticed the water and ice that I take from refrigerator is blue. What is wrong?

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of the fridge? And can you guesstimate how old is it?

Model GSHF 3KGZBCCC

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Serial number ST 411154

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I have had this ref for 6 years.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/3/2018
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 7 months ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Blue water tends to come from copper water lines. If you have copper water lines, you may want to think about changing them out to PEX or some other type of water line. Other than that, the refrigerator can't actually cause the water to change color. It has to be coming from your source water going to the refrigerator. The only way to remove colors in water would be to put an in-line carbon filter behind the refrigerator run directly in-line with the water supply line between your house and the refrigerator.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Is it ok to use that blue stained ice/water?

You'd need someone to test the water, but if you have elevated levels of copper in your water, then that can definitely be a health issue. Either way, you'd want a carbon filter to remove it, or replace the copper lines going up to the refrigerator from your house.

I am done. Thank you. I give you*️⃣*️⃣*️⃣*️⃣*️⃣

Thank you very much and let me know if you need anything else.