Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

How do I clean a maytag refrigerator's coil's? I have heard…

Customer Question
How do I clean...

How do I clean a maytag refrigerator's coil's? I have heard that you should do this every six months. Water is collecting on the top shelf of my

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Maytag is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Model M1BXXLZYB00, I bought in 2011.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

It depends on how hard it is to fix.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/2/2018
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 7 months ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Cleaning the coils isn't going to cause the water issue, but I'll go over both issues.

To clean the coils, you need a coil brush which you can get at your local hardware store like Home Depot or Lowes. Then remove the lower vent panel below the refrigerator door and scrub the coils below the refrigerator to clean them. Then vacuum out whatever you knock off or remove.

As for the water, that is a different issue. This is a very common issue and it means that your defrost drain line has frozen over and will need to be thawed out. This often times happens for no reason at all and is just random. You will need to remove everything out of your freezer and remove the back panel inside the freezer. Use a hair dryer to thaw all the ice out and locate the drain hole. Pour hot water down the drain hole until it's draining properly again. Once it's draining properly blow compressed air down to make sure it's clear. If you don't have compressed air, use a turkey baster to make sure the drain line is clear and draining properly. Cut a solid copper piece of wire about 6 inches long. Wrap it around the defrost heater a couple times just above the drain hole and extend it 2 inches into the defrost drain hole. That will transfer heat into the drain hole when the defrost heater turns on and will prevent the defrost drain line from freezing over in the future.

Also, if you didn't want to use a copper wire, there is an actual kit made which you can wrap around the heater if you wanted to buy the actual kit to perform this task.

CLICK HERE for kit

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?