Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a GE french door fridge bottom freezer motor makes…

Customer Question
I have a GE...

I have a GE french door fridge bottom freezer motor makes terrible noises when I open the freezer the noise stops

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

5 years old Model # gfss6pkbss

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If I can

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Appliance
1/2/2018
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 6 months ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

ok

The noise you're hearing is the evaporator fan motor running inside the freezer behind the back wall. This could be due to the fan going bad, or there may be ice/frost build up around the fan blade causing the noise. You could remove everything from the refrigerator and freezer and unplug the unit for 24 hours to allow all ice to thaw out, then try the unit again and if the noise is gone, then you know it was just ice or frost. Otherwise, a quicker but more difficult way to determine the issue is to unplug the unit and remove everything out of the freezer. Remove the back panel inside the freezer and if there is ice build up around the fan, use a hair dryer to thaw it out. If there is no ice build up, replace the fan motor.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?