Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have ice forming in the back of my Whirlpool refrigerator…

Customer Question
I have ice forming...

I have ice forming in the back of my Whirlpool refrigerator behind the meat drawer

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Its actually a Kitchenaid and its 3 years old

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Yes its a model#KRFF707ESS01

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Appliance
1/2/2018
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 1 month ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

So unfortunately this is a very common problem on these newer Kitchen Aid units. They were just designed terribly because there is no defrost heater inside the refrigerator. The evaporator coils (which build up frost) behind the lower back panel inside the refrigerator are supposed to thaw out from ambient temperature when the compressor isn't running. The issue is that if you set the refrigerator too cold or the door is cracked open for too long, the coils will over frost and reach a tipping point where they can no longer defrost on their own anymore. You will have to remove everything out of the refrigerator and remove the lower back panel so you can thaw out all the frost with a hair dryer behind the panel. The other option is to unplug the entire refrigerator and leave the doors open for 24 hours to thaw out on its own.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc