Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

The temperature keeps re-setting to 24 degrees in the

Customer Question
The temperature keeps re-setting...

The temperature keeps re-setting to 24 degrees in the refrigerator. I set it to 37, the recommended temp, but it quickly returns to 24. What am I doing wrong?

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of the fridge? And can you guesstimate how old is it?

GE Profile Artica. Age is probably at least 10 years.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes. If it's simple. But I'm not opposed to professional help. After all, this is where I keep my beer.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

This is the first time this happened. Otherwise I had this serviced because the freezer was inoperable about 7 months ago.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Appliance
12/31/2017
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 6 months ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

To start, the display keeps reverting back to the actual temperature which is 24 degrees even though you have set it to 37---this is normal so you can see the temperature change until it reaches your set temperature. The real problem is that your refrigerator is cooling too much. So the thermostat inside the refrigerator is all controlled by the damper assembly in the back of the refrigerator just below the ceiling. The thermostat is built into this part which allows the correct amount of air from the freezer to go into the refrigerator. If your refrigerator is too cold and you've turned all the setting warmer but things still freeze, you'd need to replace this part. Below is a link to the damper assembly with thermostat you'd need to order for your model. There is a picture of the damper assembly in the link below so if you're not sure of what part I'm referring to, you can remove everything out of the top shelf in the refrigerator and look at the back wall to see the part you need to replace.

CLICK HERE for damper assembly

As for how to replace the part, below is a video that should show you almost everything that needs to be done.

CLICK HERE for video

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 5 months ago

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?