Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Very cold weather and my fridge has stopped working, is this…

Customer Question
Very cold weather and...

Very cold weather and my fridge has stopped working , is this normal when it gets this cold. It's on an outside wall in a 5th wheel.

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of the fridge? And can you guesstimate how old is it?

Dometic 4 years old .

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No , I've emptied it and let it get to room temp for about 24 hours Shut off now

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I think that it's supposed to warm up here tomorrow and then I thought that I would take a little car heater out to blow warm air into it on the outside

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/31/2017
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 6 months ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

So unfortunately if the temperature around the refrigerator drops below 40 degrees, you will have problems with the unit working properly. The refrigerator is designed to keep heat out of the refrigerator and cool inside. When it gets below 40, the refrigerator will try to keep cold out of the refrigerator and won't turn on the refrigerator to cool properly. You can add a small light bulb (10-15 watt) on an extension cord to add just a little heat inside the refrigerator and then it'll start turning on and off regularly, but without allowing the refrigerator section to heat up, it'll never cool correctly.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.