Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

We have a GE unit with the microwave on top and the oven…

Customer Question
We have a GE...

We have a GE unit with the microwave on top and the oven underneath.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Model #JTP86SOH658, Serial # TL6-20850Q was purchased by the builder approximately the end of 2006. A few years into use, the microwave finish started to show little pinhead spots. I spoke with a GE person and the store where the Cooking Center was purchased and was assured it was save, However, this past few months, the finish is coming of in larger pieces and now there is an unfinished area at the top which is

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

At least 4-5 inches wide. I've been advised that it is no longer safe to use.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No, I don't believe it can be repaired and I certainly won't be doing anything myself. My question is "Can the microwave be replaced?" The oven works perfectly fine. I am naïve enough to believe that GE would guarantee the interior finish for at least the life of the unit. I certainly do not want to pay for replacing the whole unit when the oven doesn't need replacing. I will look forward to hearing from you.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 3 days by:
1/3/2018
Appliance Technician: Rusty S, Home Appliance Technician replied 7 months ago
Rusty S
Rusty S, Home Appliance Technician

Hello, I am sorry nobody has gotten back to you yet. Are you still needing help with this?