Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My Kenmore washer1600 is leaking oil, probably from the

Customer Question
My Kenmore washer(###) ###-####1600...

My Kenmore washer(###) ###-####1600 is leaking oil, probably from the transmission. How can I fix that?

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Kenmore is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

It is about 40 years old. The model series is 24611 and the number on the plate is(###) ###-####1600.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

The oil is very thick and appears to be coming from the transmission

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Appliance
12/30/2017
Appliance Technician: Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician replied 6 months ago
Master Tech
Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician

My name is Woody.
I`m sorry to hear that your having issues!
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.
Please note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient. Also the site will send you a phone call offer, that is not me.

The transmission does have a weep hole on the top pf the housing it is not uncommon for you to see oil on the floor under the washer.

How big of a spot are you talking about?

Over the last several months it's gotten to be a thin, sticky layer about one square foot, that we had to use gasoline to clean it off the floor.

That is nothing to worry about that is only a few drops of oil that has spread out .

If the transmission was lacking oil it would be noisey .

And just an FYI this transmission is no longer available due to the age of the unit .

The oil seems to be coming from all the bolts at the bottom of the transmission. At least they were all coated with oil. Would you recommend replacing the transmission gasket? I know that part is available. Do you have any idea what the torque on the bolts should be?

No I would not have any idea as to the torque specs , and my old man memory is going .

And we never rebuilt them under warranty just replaced them .

I would just tighten then by hand and just not go nuts .

What about replacing the transmission gasket?

I thought that was what you were going to do !

I was not going to do than if that wasn't going to solve the problem. I don't know if gaskets get old and start leaking. If it is just coming from the weep hole, it is not worth the effort.

I think it is not worth tearing the washer apart and removing the gearcase and then tearing the gearcase,apart . I would just place some newspaper under the washer and let it run till you have to replaced it .

Right! That will save a lot of effort. Thanks for your help and advice.

Glad to assist you anytime.

Thank you in advance and have a Safe and Happy New Year!

If you need me again for any other issues you can request me Master Tech.

And Even after you rate me Today if you have a question just reply back to me,
I will still assist you, no extra charges .
But rating me 5 STARS is the ONLY way I get paid for my time. I do not get compensated until you rate me.

Please remember to rate me !

I see you have NOT replied back to me .
Do you still need assistance on your question?
If not I see you have not rated me as of yet!
Even after you rate me if you have a question just reply back to me,
I will still assist you ,but rating me 5 STARS is the ONLY way I get paid for my time .

I'm sure you don't work for free, so please don't expect that I should.