Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a Frigidaire Professional Refrigerator Model:

Customer Question
FPRU19F8RF and it keeps freezing...
I have a Frigidaire Professional Refrigerator Model: FPRU19F8RF and it keeps freezing my food, no matter how much or how little food is in it. I have even set the temp at 42f, which is "warm" compared to what is recommended and it still freezes food, especially produce. Any thoughts?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Appliance
12/30/2017
Appliance Technician: Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician replied 1 month ago
Master Tech
Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician

My name is Woody.
I`m sorry to hear that your having issues!
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.
Please note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient. Also the site will send you a phone call offer, that is not me.

From what your saying you either have a bad temperature sensor/ thermistor or an issue with the electronic control board.

Do you have a Volt-Ohm meter and know how to use it? to be able to do any component or voltage testing

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don't, but would pick one up if necessary.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I had been previously looking at this parts diagram ftp://ftp.electrolux-na.com/prodinfo_pdf/stcloud/5995657664.pdf for the refrigerator, but they are nice enough to not show where the Thermistor is located :). Would that be up by the Electronic Control Assembly?

ok I would first test the thermistor /temperature sensor .

Yes the thermistor is mounted in the electronic control board housing in the ceiling .

it should be 20 K ohms at 32 degrees +-5%

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, I'll get back to you in a while. Need to make a trip to Home Depot first :)

ok no problem ,just reply when you can.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I pulled out the electronic control board housing assembly and can't seem to find that thermistor. Pic attached. From what I understand, this is what I'm looking for, but no dice... https://www.reliableparts.com/product/inv_297110400

it should be on the red wire coming off that control board.

do you see any small covers on the interior sides of the unit that the thermistor may be under?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I also get water on the floor sometimes under the unit. Don't know if that has anything to do with what is going on with it.

ok the replacement shows a short harness with a quick connect on the two wires if you do not see the quick connect then yes you would have to cut the wire do the test and splice the wire back together .

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm going to have to wait until after the long weekend to do that as I won't be able to get a replacement part until at least Tuesday now, so I'll avoid venturing there unit then, just in case something goes astray. You mentioned that it should read 20 K ohms at 32 degrees +-5%. Do you have a tech sheet with readings for other temperatures on it?

at 32 degrees it should read 20 k ohms 7.1 ohms at 90 degrees

So at the temperature goes up the resistance goes down .

No tech sheet !

please remember to rate me .

I see you have NOT replied back to me .
Do you still need assistance on your question?
If not I see you have not rated me as of yet!
Even after you rate me if you have a question just reply back to me,
I will still assist you ,but rating me 5 STARS is the ONLY way I get paid for my time .

I'm sure you don't work for free, so please don't expect that I should.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I had to order a multimeter and just got it today. I just cut the thermistor out to measure the resistance. I was measuring 18.3 k ohms at 43.8 degrees f. You said at 32 degrees it should read 20 k ohms and 7.1 k ohms at 90 degrees. Now, if the relationship between the change in resistance to the change in temperature is linear, then for every change in degree, the resistance should change by 222.4 ohms. So, with a increase of 11.8 degrees between 32 degrees and 43.8 degrees, the change in resistance should decrease by 2624 ohms (11.8 x 222.4), therefor, 20000k ohms - 2624 ohms would give me 17.4 k ohms. 17.4 k ohms + 5% is 18.3 k ohms, so therefore, within your indicated tolerance. Therefore, would it not appear that the thermistor is working ok?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I let the thermistor warm up for 30 minutes to a room temperature of 71.4 degrees f and the resistance measured 10.55 k ohms. If I do the same calculation in reverse from 90 degrees, there was a change in degrees by 18.6 degrees (90 - 71.4). With a change of 222.4 ohms for every degree, then there should be a relative change of 4137 ohms (18.6 degrees x 222.4 ohms). If the resistance should be 7100 ohms at 90 degrees, then at 71.4 degrees, it should be at 11237 ohms (7100 + 4137). 11237 - 5% is 10674 ohms, so we are just on the edge of 5%, 5.27% to be exact.

Yes with the readings your getting the thermistor is good ,so it has to be an issue with in the electronic control board itself.

The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau.
They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year!
They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!

---> CLICK HERE <--- FOR THE CORRECT PART FOR YOUR MODEL

If you have any questions just reply back to me .

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hummm, that sounds great, but they are out of stock for that part and I won't get it for at least a month. I can source it elsewhere and get it within a few days, but there are no returns from the other company on electrical components. What's the likelihood that this will fix my problem? I'd hate to spend the money and then it not fix the issue and be stuck with the extra control board. Is there any way to test the control board to be sure? The fridge isn't that old, ~2 years, but out of warranty.
Master Tech
Master Tech