Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I follow the directions and depress the gas control knob, it…

Customer Question
I follow the directions...

I follow the directions and depress the gas control knob, it lites, I hold it down for 60 seconds and as soon as I release the knob to turn it to the on position the pilot goes out immediately. I have a 1996 Sears Roebuck has 49 gal water heater. Model # 153,336412 HA, serial # is H99413771

Contractor's Assistant: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?

Over the past two years we usually light it around twice a year, but the past 7 days I’ve had to light it every day. Just yesterday i couldn’t keep it light. So I took the shop vac down there and cleared up all dust and all. And I got it to stay light for the night. But when I got up this morning it had went out again and so far no luck

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Oh, the pilot control knob is cracked but still working.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Appliance
12/30/2017
Appliance Technician: Webb-Guy, Handyman replied 7 months ago
Webb-Guy
Webb-Guy, Handyman

Hello, and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I will be the one to assist you. Sorry to hear that you are having this problem. Wow

your water heather has certainly stood up to the times. From the sounds of it the ignitor may be the issue and needs to be replaced.

https://www.searspartsdirect.com/part-number/9003410/0042/153.html?modelNumber=153331412HA&categoryName=Water heater, Gas&brandName=KENMORE​

the ignitor can be tested with a multimeter if you happen to have one. The only other option that makes sense if the ignitor is not the issue would be the gas valve control assembly.

https://www.searspartsdirect.com/part-number/F145-1293/0042/153.html?modelNumber=153331412HA&categoryName=Water heater, Gas&brandName=KENMORE​

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know. Rating does not stop you from getting back to me in the event you need me. It has been a pleasure assisting you today.