Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My two-year-old Kitchenaid microwave oven will not operate.

Customer Question
My two-year-old Kitchenaid microwave...

My two-year-old Kitchenaid microwave oven will not operate. I continually get an Open/Close Door message when I input a cooking time.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your KitchenAid is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

2 years, one month, exactly. Model KMHC319ESS-0

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If I can.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

It’s been doing this for quite some time, maybe months, but with time would operate...now, not at all.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Appliance
12/29/2017
Appliance Technician: Engineer-Tech, Home Appliance Technician replied 6 months ago
Engineer-Tech
Engineer-Tech, Home Appliance Technician

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you. Sorry you are having trouble with your microwave . Please give me a moment to review your question. Please note that it sometimes takes a while to type responses and answers.

Generally when you are experiencing an issue like this it just means that one of the door switches is bad. These microwaves have 3 to 4 door switches that must all be in their proper positions to cook and heat up and when one goes out you will experience things like the turntable going when the door is open, “Open and close door” errors, and heating issues. Also, the microwave may count down without running. Luckily they are fairly inexpensive to replace as most of the switches are less than $20. The bad switch is usually the one that doesn’t “click” when you press the button on it. Sometimes the leads to the switch appear overheated. The part number is W10727360.

You can get it on Amazon here: http://a.co/hYtkubo

If it isn't something that you are comfortable doing yourself you can call a local service company or if you don't know one you can always call Whirlpool directly.

Always unplug the microwave for 3 hours before taking it apart to discharge the High Voltage capacitor. Be careful when working on microwaves.

- PLEASE rate my service before you leave today. Since we are on the honor system, Just Answer will only credit me for my time if you rate me positively. By giving me a rating of 4 or 5 stars at the TOP RIGHT of your screen I will provide free follow up questions for this appliance after this session. I am not always online, but answer questions as soon as I see them. Thank you.