Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Second opinion] ge hot water heater Gel0910z00763 model

Customer Question
pg50t09avh00. water temperature fluctuates all...
Second opinion] ge hot water heater Gel0910z00763 model pg50t09avh00. water temperature fluctuates all the time. installed 09/10. from home depot.
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Appliance
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I was surprised that the last tech didn't ask any questions about usage patterns, or explain why he thought it was the thermostat when there a couple of other items that I may have been that are less expensive to check or test. Though I have already gone down those avenues. feeling a bit cheated for $28 figured there would be a bit more interaction. Also concerned he took the easy route and is more about generating income then helping solve problems. anyway, I would like a second opinion. if you need more info then ask and I will provide. thank you
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/29/2017
Appliance Technician: Phil, Shop owner replied 1 month ago
Phil
Phil, Shop owner

Hello, I will stay with you as long as needed to answer all of your questions.... I am having a hard time sorting out the brand and model number though, Is that a General electric tankless water heater? is that what the 'ge' means?

... and you posted what appears to be two separate model numbers... it need to get that information crystal clear. There is only one model number per water heater

If its tankless water heater, and the hot water flow drops below 0.7 gpm the flow switch will trip the gas valve off and on, producing this fluctuation... also the tankless types need to be flushed with white vinegar every few years or they will have this problem.

Get me crystal clear brand and model number information and I will pull the manual on it in most cases.

.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Serial# ***** model # pg50t09avh00 installed 19/2010 Yes it is a GE. 50 Gallon natural gas water heater. After more of my own research, I am just going to replace the thermostat and hope for the best. Pilot light stays on, and it is heating the water but up and down in temperature. Thank you for your response.

Thanks, ***** ***** thermostat is good choice if the fluctuation is over a period of minutes... if its over a period of seconds there are other issues that need to be addressed.

Good luck with it.

John, Home Appliance Technician