Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Have bad hard drive 2 tb how do I get it fixed need the data…

Customer Question
Have bad hard drive...

Have bad hard drive 2 tb how do I get it fixed need the data on it bad

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

It ailed some time ago but have not looked at it before

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If I can and not loose the data

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Yes can parts be replaced and not loose the data

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Appliance
12/29/2017
Appliance Technician: Martyn Lloyd, Home Appliance Technician replied 6 months ago
Martyn Lloyd
Martyn Lloyd, Home Appliance Technician

Is this an External HDD ?
Does it spin up, or is it just dead ?

There are software solutions to this, some paid, others free
There are companies that will do it for you, they are generally very expensive however

In order to recover lost data, you need to have at least the same available free space as the drive you wish to restore.... it basically creates a copy on a different drive

I did this for my desktop some years ago, and it does take a long time to process... many, many hours

What can you tell me about your system ?

you did not answer any of my questions. 1 can components be replaced in the failed unit with out destroying the data stored there? 2, can I install the drive in a standard tower driver and can I see the data that way? If so I could I copy it to any drive that is big enough? 3. if the unit is bad can it be repaired without loosing the data?

I am trying to work through the issue with you

Is this an External HDD ?
Does it spin up, or is it just dead ?

I have not heard back from you for a while and was wondering how you managed to get on
Anything more to add or ask ?

Cheers

Martyn