Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have an Ikea/Whirlpool side by side refrigerator with

Customer Question
I have an Ikea/Whirlpool...

I have an Ikea/Whirlpool side by side refrigerator with ice/water front dispenser. the ice maker has broken, and the local repair gave an estimate of $1200 to fix! They say the door must be replaced. Any thoughts?

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

5 years old Ikea model S23 Nutid 902.038.71 Made by whirlpool

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I actually tried replacing the ice maker board myself, but it didn't work, I'm guessing their correct that the entire door needs to be replaced

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

If the cost is going to be really bad, I may as well replace the entire unit!

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Appliance
12/28/2017
Appliance Technician: Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician replied 6 months ago
Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician

Hello, this is Dave and I welcome you to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

The only reason I can think of that would require replacing the entire freezer door would be if the wiring harness is foamed into the door hinge and is not replaceable by itself. Can you look at the model number on the model/serial plate so I can confirm?