Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My maytag double oven is giving me a f9-5 error. 10-12 years…

Customer Question
My maytag double oven...

My maytag double oven is giving me a f9-5 error

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Maytag is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

10-12 years old. where would i find the model number?

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Maytag gemini is what is says on front

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not that i know of.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Appliance
12/28/2017
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 6 months ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Thanks.

No problem. F9-5 means that the lower oven door latch assembly has failed. First, try to just open the door and wiggle the lower oven door latch hook at the top of the oven cavity in case it's sticking. Next, unplug the oven or flip the breaker off for 60 seconds to see if it'll reset. If restarting the power to the unit doesn't reset the error, you will need to replace the door latch assembly for the lower oven. It's actually located on the back of the oven. Pull the oven forward and remove the back panel to get access to the part.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Should we be able to use the upper oven without a problem?

Not usually. When there is a problem with one oven, it won't usually allow you to use the other oven if the error is being displayed.

The lower latch actually seems to be broken. It moves around pretty easily, quite differently than the latch on the upper oven. Is this something that I can replace?

If you're handy you can probably replace it. You'll need to pull the oven out and unplug it. There is a metal flip up tab on the back of the control panel that you need to flip up to see the model number on a sticker facing forward. With the model number, you can look up the part number for the lower latch you need to order. The latch motor is mounted to the back of the oven so you'll need to pull the oven forward and unscrew the entire back sheet metal panel in order to access and replace the latch mounted to the back of the lower oven toward the top of the lower oven.

Thanks, ***** ***** investigate. Do you know I was charged $28 instead of the $5 that I was told that I would be charged?

$5 is just a good faith deposit which goes toward the cost of the question. This is confirm you have a valid credit card and such. The rest of the cost of the question is charged if you want to see my answer. I'm sorry if you were unclear about this but it was all explained in the beginning before you asked the question.

Ok. I must have missed this part of the explanation. Am I a member now? Or if I have another question next month, will I need to reup?

This is just a 1 time question, you are not signed up for a subscription. You can always sign up for a subscription if you'd like, but then you're charged monthly whether you ask questions or not so typically only people with lots of questions will choose this option (like a technician).

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?