Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My microwave is not heating up contents.

Customer Question
My microwave is not...

My microwave is not heating up contents. Lights,fan,timer,etc. all work; just not heating

Contractor's Assistant: What's the microwave's make and model? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Viking DMOS200. Installed 9 years ago.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If it’s a simple fix

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No. Is there any sort of diagnostic test to run to id the problem

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Appliance
12/28/2017
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 6 months ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

If the microwave still looks and sounds like it's working, but it's just not heating--that means your magnetron has likely failed. The magnetron is the part that actually creates the microwave to heat the food and it commonly goes bad and rarely gives a warning. The part itself costs about $65. Also, it will require you to un-install the entire microwave and remove the outer shell in order to access the magnetron for replacement so if you called a technician out it would be another $200 for trip and labor. Below is a link to the magnetron you'd need to order and replace for your model number.

CLICK HERE for magnetron

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?