Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a GE microwave. The lights below my unit have out. It…

Customer Question
Hi! I have...

Hi! I have a GE microwave. The lights below my unit have burnt out. It looks like 20 watt halogen were in there. Could I use 40 watt halogens instead? I would like my lighting over my stove to be brighter.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Hang on......I'll get the info....

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

What numbers would you like?

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Jan 2014, Serial JVM7195DF1BB

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Appliance
12/27/2017
Appliance Technician: Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician replied 1 month ago
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician

One moment please..Note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient. Also the site will send you a phone call offer, that is not me.

If you use a 40 watt the relay for the lighting circuit will only last so long. Typically doubling the wattage on those often leads to premature failure for the relay on the main control board, since the really is not designed to handle that much current. You can do it, but one day you may come to find you have no lights at all and have to replace the main board due to the relay contact burning out.

Happy Holidays..All I ask is please use the....FINISH BY RATING link at the top your page to select a 5 STAR RATING before leaving today....this is important for my status on the site plus without a rating I will receive ZERO credit(NO PAY) from the site for assisting you. Also rating now does not close the question out and you can come back anytime for FREE right here to me......Happy Holidays!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok ...... thanks. I do wish the lighting was brighter......

I checked the relay size on your unit, it has a 10 amp lighting relay so 80 watts will draw about 7 amps. It should work ok if you want to do it it is rated for 10.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I accepted his first response as the correct answer. Then he replied again, where it sounds like he did more in depth and accurate research, changing his response to indicate it wud be ok to use 40 watt halogens instead of only 20 watt halogens as the electrical rating specs indicate my GE microwave can handle the higher 40 watt halogens. I thought I had the definitively correct answer on the first reply......

I just wanted to check the relay size for sure, it would work either way, but like I was saying in my first response it can lead to premature failure of the relay. It will work ok to do it I am just advising the potential early failure size you would be running the relay close to the limit of the relay. I just wanted you to know since it sounded like you would really like some more lighting. I just try to cover everything the best I can.

Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician