Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My kitchen aid frig freezer below, has frozen up. Sheet of…

Customer Question
My kitchen aid frig...

My kitchen aid frig freezer below, has frozen up. Sheet of ice under drawer preventing drawer being closed all the way. Help!

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your KitchenAid is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Model KFXS25RYMSO About 6 years old

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No. I can't afford repair til payday this Friday but I need to be able to fully close freezer drawer. Thought of pouring hot water on ice shee on floor of freezer to break it up. It obstructs vents too

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Is is harmful to pour some hot water on freezer floor to get rid of so much ice?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/27/2017
Appliance Technician: Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician replied 7 months ago
Master Tech
Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician

My name is Woody.
I`m sorry to hear that your having issues!
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.
Please note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient. Also the site will send you a phone call offer, that is not me.

So are you saying that the bottom of the freezer is covered in a sheet of ice?

with frost throughout
Awaiting your response. Can't afford call

ok so is is solid ice on the floor of the freezer or just frost on everything /everywhere in the freezer section , or both?

As stated earlier ! If your referring to a phone call prompt I did NOT send that to you ,the web site that we are using does, NOT I!

thank you. I'm new to tech

I feel the setting on freezer set to low. Not able to set panel. Solid sheet of ice on floor. Frost on food and walls.

Ok you can not get the freezer too cold !

You have a defrost drain line opening that is clogged , and the when the unit goes into defrost the water has no where to go and it then comes out from under the rear freezer wall panel and out into the freezer and then freezer on the freezer floor.

This ice then stops the drawer form fully closing and then you get the frost from warm air getting into the freezer section.

You will need to remove everything out of the freezer section ,and remove the interior rear wall panel to melt the ice in the defrost drain trough and the drain line.

Will the ice make it difficult to remove this panel? Is it removed easily? What about some hot water to help things along?

you may have to break up some ice in front of the panel .

Warm water only ,if you pour hot water on the plastic line you may end up cracking it .

Sounds like you've nailed the problem. I do have water on floor. I will follow your excellent advise. Thank you so much ��

No problem!

And this is a common issue after you get the rear interior panel off then I use a hair dryer to melt the ice in the trough and the hot water and a Turkey baster to flush hot water down into the drain line opening .

If you need me again for any other issues you can request me Master Tech.

And Even after you rate me Today if you have a question just reply back to me,
I will still assist you, no extra charges .
But rating me 5 STARS is the ONLY way I get paid for my time. I do not get compensated until you rate me.