Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My GE built-in microwave just started making a loud buzzing…

Customer Question
My GE built-in microwave just...
My GE built-in microwave just started making a loud buzzing noise and stopped heating. What could be wrong.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Appliance
12/26/2017
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 6 months ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

If the microwave still looks like it's working but it's buzzing louder and it's just not heating--that means your magnetron has likely failed. The magnetron is the part that actually creates the microwave to heat the food and it commonly goes bad and rarely gives a warning. The part itself costs about $150 so depending on the condition of the microwave, it may be better to just replace the microwave rather than repair it. Also, it will require you to un-install the entire microwave and remove the outer shell in order to access the magnetron for replacement so if you called a technician out it would be another $150 for trip and labor.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Thank you. How certain are you about that with the condition I shared? It's a built in Profile that's probably pretty expensive.

I'm very certain it's your problem. Unfortunately this is a common way for the microwave to fail, but it's not a cheap fix.

Below is a link to the part. It appears to only be about $85 for your model at Sears.

CLICK HERE for magnetron

Is this the same thing? https://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Magnetron/WB27X26081/4449818

Yep same part number, even cheaper from repairclinic

Okay. Is there anything else that's recommended to change with this part at the same time? I want to buy the parts and only have to pay for one service call from my tech guy.

No, nothing else needs to be replaced. Microwaves don't really have many moving parts so nothing needs to be maintenance.

Thanks. I'll let you know how the repair goes.

ok good luck! Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and if you need anything else just let me know.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?