Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Ea I tried to start self clean function on my Dacor oven but…

Customer Question
Ea I tried to...

Ea I tried to start self clean function on my Dacor oven but somehow door wasn't shut all the way so now the lock mechanism is jutting out and the door is open. How do I unlock it and start over? I have cancelled the self clean cycle.

Contractor's Assistant: Have you tried power cycling the appliance -- unplugging it and leaving it off for a few hours?

Do you mean turn off the circuit breaker? not sure I want to pull the oven out of the cabinet. If I turn off circuit breaker would it really take a few hours?

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I just need oven clean for Christmas dinner tomorrow and would prefer not to have to wait for a service call.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Nope that's it

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Appliance
12/26/2017
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 7 months ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

This should actually be a fairly easy issue to fix. When the door gets locked open, you just need to trick the door into thinking that it's shut. So open the door and locate the door/light switch around the frame of the oven. Push the door switch in and hold it so that the oven thinks the door is shut. Now just start a self clean cycle and wait 60 seconds. Then cancel the self clean cycle and the door lock should open. At that point you can let go of the light switch and the oven should work normally.

If that doesn't work, tape the door switch so it's pushed in and the oven thinks the door is shut. Then unplug the oven or turn power off at the breaker for 60 seconds and re-apply power and that will reset the latch if the latch hasn't failed.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Thanks. Will try.

no problem and good luck!

Where would the door switch be?

Depending on the model number it's either up around the top frame of the oven cavity, or it's part of the door latch itself so you have to pull on the latch hook as if the door is giving resistance to the latch shutting.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?