Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Just bought a GE over the range Microwave -- door seems to…

Customer Question
Just bought a GE...

Just bought a GE over the range Microwave -- door seems to be a little loose, and needs very firm pressure on lower part of door handle to shut the door enough for the light to go off. Is this adjustable, or do I need to return or get service? Thanks.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

JVM3160F4WW -- less than a month old

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I'd like to -- or I can have a handyman come take a look.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not that I can think of. The door has a little up and down wiggle room when it is open. I really think it that were gone, it might work right.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Appliance
12/25/2017
Appliance Technician: Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician replied 4 months ago
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician

One moment please..Note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient. Also the site will send you a phone call offer, that is not me.

Thanks. I'll stay by!

Ok if the unit is that new and that is happening you may need an adjustment on the door interlock or possibly a new door interlock. Are all packing strips removed from the door to make sure nothing is binding?

Did you get that response?
Hello?

OK if that is happening you would have to take the unit apart to check the interlock assembly, there are 3 switched on the interlock and you would have to see if the interlock is out of position. I would say you may not want to do that since it is under warranty, but that is up to you.

I really think that the door itself is loose - and if it were in better position, it would work OK. Any way to tighten the door?
If not -- how do I access the warranty repair?

The door is attached at the hinges and the hinges are welded to the frame. You would have to pop apart the bezel to see if anything is loose there.

I think I"ll need to schedule for warranty service. I found info on that. So -- guess we are done. Thanks.

Yes I would wait for that for sure.

Merry Christmas....All I ask is please use the....FINISH BY RATING link at the top your page to select a 5 STAR RATING before leaving today....this is important for my status on the site plus without a rating I will receive ZERO credit(NO PAY) from the site for assisting you. Also rating now does not close the question out and you can come back anytime for FREE right here to me......Happy Holidays!

Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician