Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Kitchen Aid KSCS25 on this model the light turns off after a…

Customer Question
Kitchen Aid KSCS25 on...

Kitchen Aid KSCS25 on this model the light turns off after a time if the door is left open. However it is acting as if the door is open even when it is closed and the ice maker is not making ice at a normal pace.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your KitchenAid is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

11 years

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I'm not sure. If I open the door the light is out so I hold the door switch shut for 3-4 seconds and everything comes back on.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Appliance
12/25/2017
Appliance Technician: Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician replied 6 months ago
Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician

Hello, this is Dave and I welcome you to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

The door liner is not pushing far enough to cause the switch to open with the door closed. Sometimes adjusting the door will correct this but there is also a plastic shim that can be added to the liner to cause the switch to be pushed further in so it turns off the light. I assume this is the freezer door? Did you want to try to adjust the door or if not I can get you the peal and stick shim part number.

The entire thing has worked fine for 12 years- this is a sudden deal and it seems as if the control unit is malfunctioning.

Here is how you can tell. Get the light working and then close the door. If you can see the door gasket on the hinge side, pull the gasket away from the cabinet and see if the light is on. If it is on you just need to adjust the door or add a shim. Is the switch on the side wall or on the top of the liner?

No light shows

That would be normal. The light won't timeout if they go off when the door shuts. That would indicate the switch is working. Maybe it is intermittent? Do the lights only shut down every now and then?

Anytime the door is shut, after 5-10 minutes when the door is reopened the light does not come on unless I open the refer door and hold the switch shut for 2-3 seconds. Also the ice maker is barely working. I believe the control module is no longer functioning properly. Whether the door is open or shut it acts as if the door is open all the time.

This still sounds like the switch and I don't want you to spend money on a control you don't need. If either door switch leaves the light on when the door closes it will shut off the lights. Since the lights come back after you manually hold the switch down it tells me the control is good. We checked the freezer light but do the same for the refrigerator side to see if that is the problem. Get the lights working and then close the doors and pull back the gasket to see which side has the light on.