Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a Kitchenaid Artison Mixer, it is a year old have…

Customer Question
I have a Kitchenaid...

I have a Kitchenaid Artison Mixer, it is a year old have used it 4 times this last year. I cannot get the whip attachment off. I read the book, nothing works, This is xmas eve, and I need it .. Help

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your KitchenAid is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

I already said that it is 1yr old, and is an Artisan

Contractor's Assistant: Sorry about that. I must have missed it. Could you tell me again?

It is 1yr. old, and is an Artisan.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes if possible

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Appliance
12/24/2017
Appliance Technician: Engineer-Tech, Home Appliance Technician replied 6 months ago
Engineer-Tech
Engineer-Tech, Home Appliance Technician

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you. Sorry you are having trouble with your Kitchenaid mixer. Please give me a moment to review your question. Please note that it sometimes takes a while to type responses and answers.

The primary reason your attachment is stuck is that it has very little clearance between the attachment and the shaft. When dough or anything gets in there and dries, it makes it very hard to get off. The key is to expand the attachment with heat Here is what I would do in your case:

First try hot towels wrapped around the attachment for 5 minutes. Use some vegetable oil to lubricate the attachment at the shaft. Then rotate the attachment so that the pin lines up in a way that the attachment can come off.

Then try pulling it off after the attachment has heated it up. If this does not work, try it again and this time, use a screwdriver wrapped in a towel (to protect the mixer) to pry the shaft off. Sometimes you need to try this several times. Please note that if the shaft of the mixer gets hot, it defeats the purpose because it also heats up and expands along with the attachment.

- PLEASE rate my service before you leave today. Since we are on the honor system, Just Answer will only credit me for my time if you rate me positively. By giving me a rating of 4 or 5 stars at the TOP RIGHT of your screen I will provide free follow up questions for this appliance after this session. I am not always online, but answer questions as soon as I see them. Thank you.