Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Recently my Maytag frij, which is about 15 years old, has…

Customer Question
Recently my Maytag frij...

Recently my Maytag frij, which is about 15 years old, has started smelling of fish. I havent had any fish in it. I cleaned every inch, including the tray underneath, with baking soda. Now it's very clean but it still smells. I gave up using the ice maker years ago because it had to be repaired so often.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Maytag is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

I don't know the name of the model. It's about 15 years old. It is a two door, side-by-side frij and freezer.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Most likely not.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I can't think of anything.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/23/2017
Appliance Technician: Rusty S, Home Appliance Technician replied 2 months ago
Rusty S
Rusty S, Home Appliance Technician

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. Sorry to hear you are having appliance trouble, I know how frustrating that can be!

May I please have your model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information?

RSW2400AAL

Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

The odor is most likely from the area behind the rear panel, inside the freezer. The panel is number 30 at the link below.

CLICK HERE

Once that panel has been removed, the evaporator coil (number 30 below), the drip tray (number 22) and the area around those parts can be cleaned.

CLICK HERE

Number 23 is the drain line that flows from the drip tray to the pan below, make sure that is cleaned by pouring a little hot water/bleach mixture down it. I suspect the odor will be removed once that area has been cleaned. Be careful around the fins of that evaporator coil, they can be sharp!

If you would be so kind, would you please remember to rate my service USING THE STAR SCALE at the top or the bottom of the page before you leave today? You may post back at anytime with follow up questions. Please let me know how I may earn your 5 star rating! Thank you so much!

Rusty S
Rusty S
Rusty S, Home Appliance Technician