Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

We have a KitchenAid Integrated Compactor model # KUC503FT.

Customer Question
We have a KitchenAid...

We have a KitchenAid Integrated Compactor model # KUC503FT. Everything works except the solid pack feature. With the SP switch on,, the ram goes down, but comes back up as in normal operation. ?

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your KitchenAid is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

I provided the model # above. The Use & Care Guide was printed in 2007 which sounds about right.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Appliance
12/23/2017
Appliance Technician: Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician replied 6 months ago
Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician

Hello, this is Dave and I welcome you to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

There area few digits missing from the end of the model number but I have enough to get started. You centrifugal switch in the motor that is only used for dense pack is likely stuck closed. Do you have a meter and want to try to get to the motor?

What kind of meter? If current, yes.

An Ohmmeter to read continuity. The contact should be open between the Black with orange strip and the Yellow contacts on the motor. Depending on the last numbers of your mode the wires may be Orange with a black strip and Yellow. Pull one of the wires off the motor and check to see if the contact is open on the motor. Sometimes just bumping the wires or switch will cause it to open and then it will work properly. If it stays stuck closed it will need to be replaced.

Did you get a chance to ohm the switch on the motor?