Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I was going to self-clean my oven. It started to make

Customer Question
Good Morning. I...

Good Morning. I was going to self-clean my oven. It started to make clicking, popcorn noises. We left the oven open over night. My husband found out that this is normal for heating elements. So this morning I closed the oven door an there was clicking for about 1 minute and it stopped. We thought everything was ok. Now the oven does not bake. Please help...

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of your oven? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

GE Profile

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Oven was perfect before this

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/23/2017
Appliance Technician: Engineer-Tech, Home Appliance Technician replied 6 months ago
Engineer-Tech
Engineer-Tech, Home Appliance Technician

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you. Sorry you are having trouble with your GE oven . Please give me a moment to review your question. Please note that it sometimes takes a while to type responses and answers.

Can you tell me if this is a range or a built-in oven?

Range

Great. Please give me the model number found by pulling the drawer out.

I will call back. Thank you!

Generally speaking, when this happens, it is because the lock mechanism is confuse or has failed. You will need to pull the range out, unplug it, remove the back panel and look for the lock mechanism at the back. It is about level with the door lock, but is in the back of the range. It has a long rod that goes from the front of the oven to the back. It is about level with the door lock. The mechanism sometimes gets stuck. You can sometimes advance it by turning the motor on it. Try moving the motor cam 90 degrees and then plug the range back in to see if it resets. If not, try another 90 degrees. If this does not work, inspect the switches to make sure the "click" when you press the button. Most lock issues are resolved in this manner. IF this does not work, replace the lock mechanism.

- PLEASE rate my service before you leave today. Since we are on the honor system, Just Answer will only credit me for my time if you rate me positively. By giving me a rating of 4 or 5 stars at the TOP RIGHT of your screen I will provide free follow up questions for this appliance after this session. I am not always online, but answer questions as soon as I see them. Thank you.