Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

How can i start the diagnostic mode on My Whirlpool Cabrio…

Customer Question
How can i start...

How can i start the diagnostic mode on My Whirlpool Cabrio platinum dryer?

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

1 year. what do you mean by exact mode

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes already checked the element, thermo, and high limit switch\

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

E just want to know if i can get it in diagnostic mode it might tell me a code. It stopped heating

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Appliance
12/22/2017
Appliance Technician: Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician replied 5 months ago
Master Tech
Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician

My name is Woody.
I`m sorry to hear that your having issues!
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.
Please note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient. Also the site will send you a phone call offer, that is not me.

Can I please have the Full model number of the unit to better assist you ?

open the dryer door the model /serial tag is on the inner face frame.

K have any ideas
WED8500BW0

no with out a model number .

There are way to many Whirlpool modes to just give you one , I need the model number to be sure to give you the correct way!

Thank you!
Give me a few minutes to pull up information on this model

the tech sheet showing you how to run diagnostics is inside the console of the unit .

But here it is ACTIVATING SERVICE DIAGNOSTIC MODE

1. Be sure the dryer is in standby mode (plugged in with all indicators off).

2. Select any three buttons (except POWER) and follow the steps below, using the same buttons.

Remember the buttons and the order that the buttons were pressed. Within 8 seconds,

• Press and Release the 1st selected button,

• Press and Release the 2nd selected button,

• Press and Release the 3rd selected button;

• Repeat this 3 button sequence 2 more times.

3. If the key sequence was entered successfully, all indicators on the console are illuminated for 5 seconds with “88” showing in the “estimated time remaining” two-digit display.

If there are no saved fault codes, all indicators on the console will momentarily turn off, and then only the seven segment display will come back on and display “88”. NOTE: The Service Diagnostic mode will time out after 10 minutes of user inactivity, or shut down if AC power is removed from the dryer.

Fault/Error Code Display Method Fault codes are displayed by alternately showing F# ***** E#. All fault codes have an F# ***** an E#. The F# ***** the suspect System/Category.

The E# ***** the suspect Component system.

Up to four Fault/Error codes may be stored. When the oldest fault code is displayed, additional presses of the 3rd button will result in a triple beep, then display of the most recent fault code. If each press of the 3rd button results in a triple beep and the display shows “88”, no saved fault codes are present.

If you give me the error codes you find I will give you there meaning

It just stays on 88

If all your getting is 88 then their are no stored error codes.

Have you tested the heating element to see if it is good or not? or tested it for voltage to see if it is getting the proper voltage while the dryer is running and should be heating?

I replaced the element it heated on wdry for awhile them stopped heating again. IT wouldnt heat on normal with the sensing
I started it in diag. mode and after awhile the number 2 shows. it is still running and the start button is still flashing

All error codes are four digits long and will be a F number then a E number like F1 -E1 or F4-E3

and just because you replaced the element before does not mean it is not bad again .

That is why you need to test the element for resistance and then test the heating element for voltage as the dryer is running to see if the element is getting voltage or not .

in the heater electrical circuit on this model you have 6 components if any one of them fail the dryer will run and tumble but not heat.

F4e3 andf2e1

Ok the F2-E1 is a user interface problem (stuck keypad /button or a button was depressed for 20 seconds.

The F4-E3 means heater relay failure or connection problem. Indicates no voltage detected at the heater relay. This fault code will ONLY appear when in the service diagnostic mode. • Unplug dryer or disconnect power and check that the wires are plugged into the heater element(s) and the relay(s) on the CCU.

So do you have a Volt-Ohmmeter to do any voltage testing?

I do but I will have to open the dryer first.

all you have to open is the control panel

It's open

ok on the main control board you have two heater relay test the black wire on each relay to chassis ground looking for 120 volts A/C let me know what you get .

120 on both

ok so the fault code say NO voltage detected at the relay but you do have voltage at the relays .

So now remove the two violet wires and make sure they will not touch bare metal and with the dryer running and on a selected heat cycle terminals where the violet wires where connected for voltage also 120 to ground

I unplugged the connecters. Both black and purple. Or do I have to leave the black on
i made some cheaters and checked. both relays have power going to purple 120 volts
you still there?

Sorry I work on line 9 -5 EST ,and this is my third job during the week days.

So I was no longer on line.

But if you have 120 going to the violet wires on the relays , then you have to open the dryer up and remove the front panel leaving the door switch connected and check the voltage to the Heating element .

On the dual heater remove the Red wire and test for voltage on the terminal where the red wire was attached with the dryer running check the terminal where the red wire was for 120 volts A/C to chassis ground , then test the red wire itself to ground ,looking for 120 volts A/C , if you have the 120 at both the terminal where the red wire was and the red wire to ground them test the terminal to the red wire for 240 volts A/C .

And let me know what you get please.

John, Home Appliance Technician