Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My 65 gal hot water heater is running out of water too

Customer Question
My 65 gal hot...

My 65 gal hot water heater is running out of water too quickly. It heats up to about 128 degrees, but after letting it heat up for two hours today, I ran out 1.33 gal / min for 8 min, which is about 11 gallons, and I was down to luke warm water. That seems defective to me. I keep getting a run around by the manufacturer because it is still under warranty. I'm seeking a second opinion.

Contractor's Assistant: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?

It's been going on and off for about 9 months. We replaced the control valve a few weeks ago. But I'm having the same problem.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Don't know yet.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Appliance
12/22/2017
Appliance Technician: Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician replied 6 months ago
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician

One moment please..Note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient. Also the site will send you a phone call offer, that is not me.

Are you shutting the unit off everyday?

No. It's a gas unit. Stays on all the time.

Ok are you sure the water coming out is 128 degrees? There is really nothing that can be defective on a 65 galloin unit. If the water is 128 degrees in the unit you will lose about 10 degrees right away through the piping in the house so that water is about 118 degrees, plus mixing it with any cold water will just be luke warm. A hot tub is 104 degree water so I would think you may just need to set it a bit higher as the temps are likely not 128 degrees. Normally you would want the unit set to about 135-140 for good hot water all the time.

I used a meat thermometer and it was about 128. I'm not sure how accurate it is, but the water was very hot. However, after 8 minutes at 1.33 gal / min, 11 gal, it was luke warm. So the question is, after two hours of reheat time, why do I only get 11 minutes of hot water?
I take it you are done?

No I am not done, I am not sure about the two hour reheat time you are referring to. Let me see if another tech can help with this issue.