Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a XL44 gas stove.....the oven knob will not shut off…

Customer Question
I have a XL44...

I have a XL44 gas stove.....the oven knob will not shut off the oven. appears to be stripped. how do I get the oven off now?

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of your oven? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

2004

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

It's late so I have no one here.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Just need to get the oven to quit lighting up

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/22/2017
Appliance Technician: Engineer-Tech, Home Appliance Technician replied 7 months ago
Engineer-Tech
Engineer-Tech, Home Appliance Technician

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you. Sorry you are having trouble with your GE oven. Please give me a moment to review your question. Please note that it sometimes takes a while to type responses and answers.

If you simply want to stop the oven from lighting, you can cut the power off to it then I can give you some ideas as to why it is not turning off. There is a plug in the back that you can remove or you can cut the breaker off to the range. It should be in the breaker box labeled "range" or "kitchen receptacle".

- PLEASE rate my service before you leave today. Since we are on the honor system, Just Answer will only credit me for my time if you rate me positively. By giving me a rating of 4 or 5 stars at the TOP RIGHT of your screen I will provide free follow up questions for this appliance after this session. I am not always online, but answer questions as soon as I see them. Thank you.

As far as the issue you are having - the knob may just be cracked - which just means replacing the knob. If not, the oven control is likely bad and may be part of an electronic board that needs to be replaced. I don' have the model number (which is different than XL44). Otherwise I could give you part numbers for the likely bad components.

- Please rate my service before you leave today. Since we are on the honor system, Just Answer will only credit me for my time if you rate me positively. By giving me a rating of 4 or 5 stars at the TOP RIGHT of your screen I will provide free follow up questions for this appliance after this session. I am not always online, but answer questions as soon as I see them. Thank you.

do you mean just unplug the stove? I can't shut the breaker off to it because it shuts off my refrigerator too.
I have unplugged the stove....will that be ok as far as the gas goes? will it put gas fumes in the house?

Yes correct. Unplugging the stove stops the igniter from coming on. So if the igniter does not come on, the gas valve normally will not open.