Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I hav a whirlpool free standing ice maker that is making a…

Customer Question
I hav a whirlpool...

I hav a whirlpool free standing ice maker that is making a groaning noise. it also appears to be getting hot

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Less than 2 years

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Sku GI15NDXZS1AMA501185711 yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

My house is on a well. extreemly hard water i have to change the filter almost monthly

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/21/2017
Appliance Technician: Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician replied 7 months ago
Master Tech
Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician

My name is Woody.
I`m sorry to hear that your having issues!
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.
Please note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient. Also the site will send you a phone call offer, that is not me.

Can you tell as to where the groining noise is coming from? and where is the unit getting hot at ? inside or outside the unit.

Hot outside. The noise is coming mostly from the inside.

ok

#1 do you feel any warm air coming out from under the unit on the left side?

#2 do you see or hear any water running over the silver Evaporator plate inside the unit right behind the cutting grid?

1.)No, the heat is coming from the front. I cleaned the grease prior as it was covered in dust but it is still rather warm
2.) Yes I hear water running inside.

ok Any time the ice maker is running you will have heat coming from under he ice bin and out the front grill of the unit on the left side .

And What (GREASE) did you clean ?

I don't know what you mean by grease? The ice maker has now stopped making ice.

This is a copy and paste from your last post to me on 8;55 am today.

((1.)No, the heat is coming from the front. I cleaned the grease prior as it was covered in dust but it is still rather warm))

It wasn't grease, sorry. Typo. I meant to type grate. Cleaned the grate.

Ok you had me wondering What Grease!!

Ok can you remove the grid from inside the unit and with the unit running tell me if the water running over the evaporator plate is cold or not?

there is water running over the sheet of metal where the ice freezes.

Ok and is that water getting colder and colder as the unit runs?

ok And so it is getting colder ,but you say it is not making any ice at all correct?

Correct. And it's suddenly less noisy.

ok so if the water is cold but not cold enough to make ice and then have the ice slab drop onto the cutting grid .

Then you have a sealed refrigeration system issue.

But if the Condenser coil under the unit was full of dirt and lint ,and the unit is now not making the noise it could have been just that the refrigerant was not getting cold enough for the unit to work correctly.

Let`s let it run for say 30 minutes with the door closed and see if it makes a slab of ice or not.

How does that sound to you?

It's been running for an hour after cleaned and still no ice.

ok so with in that hour it has been running the water over the Evaporator plate the entire time ?

No ice

no I know it has not made ice you stated that .

My questions was has the water been running over the evaporator plate the entire time?

there is water running. It's intermittent. Sometimes it flows. Sometimes it doesn't.

ok that is what I needed to know !

Because the water should only be flowing for a minimum of 20 minutes then it should cycle off and dump the water and refill the sump .

So that tells me that you have a sealed refrigeration issue.

And that is a repair a certified EPA servicer has to do the work. the average home owner can not do , this is due to EPA laws.

If the unit is less then 2 years old it is out of the manufactures 1 year warranty.

You will need to contact a local certified service repair company to do the work .

Ok. The machine has started making ice again

ok so you mean it DID drop a slab of ice?

ok So by chance was the unit making a slab of ice and you just did not see it after we waited the hour?

since you say now the unit is making ice.

It was not a slab. Just a few random pieces

ok so then you do have a sealed refrigeration issue then if it was not a full slab of ice.

That means the plate is only getting cold enough in spots and not the entire plate for it to make a full slab of ice.

Keep in mind, I can only give you truthful information as simply telling you only what you wish to hear but what may not necessarily be true would only hurt you. If you are upset at your situation but not by the quality of my answer, please consider rating positively as I am only a messenger. If you simply want more information, feel free to reply and let me know - I am here to help you to your satisfaction. If you have other concerns, reply and let me know. I am here to make sure you are satisfied."?

If you need me again for any other issues you can request me Master Tech.

And Even after you rate me Today if you have a question just reply back to me,
I will still assist you, no extra charges .
But rating me 5 STARS is the ONLY way I get paid for my time. I do not get compensated until you rate me.